31 October 2013

Exchange Day 67 - Happy Halloween!

Today was an exciting day because my friends and I would be having ice cream at Baskin Robbins before our late evening class! We were going to challenge ourselves to finish the mega huge ice cream monster pail! At Baskin Robbins, there is a promotion for every thirty-first day of the month, where customers will receive a free upsize with every purchase of a family pint, giving you savings of 5,000W and a whole lot more ice cream!

I had breakfast at the dorm as usual, which was a carbohydrate-loaded meal of gravy potatoes and fried fish fillet with rice and spicy tofu-radish soup. I have to say the soup was the best part of the meal, I don't enjoy eating normal potatoes that much and the fried fish today was tasteless if not for the salad cream.



For lunch, I met a friend, whom I got to know two days ago. It was a really random occurrence as I was standing outside the post office after having dropped off a parcel to Chubby. She came up to me and started talking to me in a flurry of Korean. Thinking that she needed directions, I smiled sheepishly and said that I was a foreigner, expecting her to understand that I could be of no help and she had to find another person for help. To my surprise, she kept on talking and we ended up chatting so much that we arranged for a lunch date today.

She was late so she offered to treat me for lunch, which I gladly accepted as it's considered rude in Korean culture to decline such an offer. We ate in the school cafeteria of Seunghak campus, which was new to me as I never had classes there. Like all other cafeterias, we had to buy a meal ticket from the vending machine but there were a whole lot more food choices here as compared to the rest. I'm a little sorry that I didn't take a closer look at the menu before deciding on dumplings as I didn't expect the dumplings to be fried and the fried chicken that I loved was on the menu today! Such a pity.



Lunch ended on a bit of an awkward note as more 'friends' turned up than I had expected and I felt a little pressured by them to take up activities at their cultural centers. My friend had told me about her cultural center that they offer dancing and modeling classes for lower prices and so I had agreed to find out more about the classes from her over lunch today. But I didn't get as much information as I would like to because I had to visit the center to find out more, which was fishy I thought. Coupled with the fact that I felt out of place and uncomfortable with everyone that was present, I thought I better leave. Thankfully they could sense my discomfort and didn't press for me to stay.

The next part of the day was the best as I fled to Baskin Robbins to have ice cream with my friends!!! Being indecisive girls, we took a long time but we finally decided on six ice cream flavours to enjoy! Each monster bucket entitles you to choose up to 6 different flavours and you won't just get a scoop of that flavour but the staff will use this thing that looks like a paint scraper and cut one whole chunk of ice cream for you.


Look at the mountain of ice cream oh my god this cost us 19,500W, which was really a steal. 



It took lots of pain and determination but we managed to finish every single drop of ice cream in the bucket. We have agreed that we will not eat any more Baskin Robbins for the next one month.

Dinner was fried chicken from a roadside stall and rice burger from Bongusu Burger, which was newly opened right outside the side gate of Bumin Campus. As I liked it sweet, the staff suggested a Mayonnaise Ribs Burger, which I accepted.

2,500W for my burger.
The cubes were chicken in bulgogi sauce and there was also tuna mayonnaise in the burger. It was really satisfying and we ate our burgers with a spoon although you can choose to compress it and eat it like a normal burger.


Fried chicken was 2,000W for a medium sized cup, which we shared, and there were also golden brown hashbrowns inside! So delicious!


T'was a fatty but really happy day for my tummy! I shall try to eat healthier for the next few days to mitigate the damage done by the ice cream and cake and fried food. Good night everyone!

P.S. My friend and I saw people in Halloween getup heading towards something that looked like a party so we decided to try our luck. Korea doesn't have a Halloween culture so we got really excited when we saw people in costumes, but it turned out to be a 'sensual' (as quoted from their poster) club event so we bailed.

xoxo, ❀

No comments:

Post a Comment