14 October 2013

Exchange Day 50 - Monday Blues

Today was a boring day. I woke up specially early to have breakfast in the dormitory cafeteria, which was spicy greens and minced meat and potatoes in sweet soy sauce with rice and seaweed soup.

The greens tasted a little raw and I don't take spicy food well, so the vegetables did not appeal much to me, despite being vegetables. It's so difficult to find cooked unprocessed vegetables here except when you eat salads. The Koreans are kind of extreme in a way I guess. It's either they process their vegetables with lots of salt or they leave it completely raw you and your pet bunny could eat it together.

The minced meat, on the other hand, was delicious! I don't normally like minced meat, thanks to the influence of my mommy, but this minced meat is really tasty in the sweet sauce! I was tempted to lick the plate clean, but I controlled myself. The black hole you see is a bowl of seaweed soup with bits of meat, probably left over from yesterday's food.

Do you think I can sneak a plate home?
I forgot what I had for lunch, probably the biscuits I have in my room, since I didn't even bother to take a photo of it. My lessons are mostly in the late afternoon till night, so in theory I have a lot of time to spare before class. But the funny thing is, all my classes are in a different campus from where I stay so I have to take the school's shuttle bus, which only comes once every hour. I end up leaving very early just so I can save money by taking the school's free transport.

Every Monday night I sit at the Paris Baguette opposite my school to have dinner, leach their wifi and study for Baca's class. I always sit in my favourite spot, where the school and the cafe's clock is in perfect view, so that I won't be late for class. Baca is a professor who is not to be trifled with. He's a great teacher, but you never know when his mood swings might hit you in the head and leave a terrible bruise.

On a lighter note (pun not intended), I love how the bread in Paris Baguette always comes with calorie labels, perfect for obsessive calorie-counters like me. But recently, I discovered that I might have been reading these labels wrongly all the while. It is important to see how many servings the bread or pastry is intended for before comparing the calorie count. No wonder some sweet breads can exist on the label for less than the expected amount of calories. As usual, I got myself a carton of fresh milk and a bread.

Cream cheese cinnammon roll (1,800W) which is satisfying but is starting to be boring, and fresh milk (850W)!





xoxo, ❀

No comments:

Post a Comment