13 October 2013

Exchange Day 49 - Tammy Day

The day that I've been looking forward to for the longest time is finally here! Although you might never read this, or maybe you will I don't know, I just want to thank you for deciding to make a stop in Busan during your vacation trip to Korea. You know I'm not a person who can comfortably express sentimental stuff so although I did not appear as thrilled as I was deep inside, today was truly the best day of my exchange trip so far :") Have a safe trip okay and see you when I go over, I need to eat my favourite 7-11 milk toast.

So we scheduled to meet each other at 11:00 (Korean time) at the fountains of Seomyeon Lotte Departmental Store. As we both did not have data on our phones, I wanted to meet somewhere obvious where there's close to a zero chance of us getting lost. It felt like a blind date, except I was not holding a red rose or anything of that sort. I was so anxious when time was ticking closer to the meeting time and still no confused solo tourist was in sight. What if aliens had abducted her on the train ride? What if she took the wrong train? What if she fell asleep and ended up in Zimbabwe? What if I got the day wrong? I made sure I was early so I could wait at the subway gantries instead, just in case she didn't know how to get to the fountains. After what seemed like hours, I decided to return to the fountains and that was when I saw her text saying she'll be late! I don't know if I should punch her or just be relieved that she's alive. While I was pondering over this dilemma, a familiar face approached me and all was forgotten. :)

The reason why we're meeting at Seomyeon is because I wanted to bring her to 신골밥상, a traditional Korean restaurant my buddy brought me to the other day. You can read more about it from my previous post here. I wanted to meet early so we could avoid the lunch crowd, but just as Murphy would have it, I got lost and we ended up walking in circles for half an hour before we actually found the place.



Thankfully, there wasn't a queue and the best thing I like about the restaurant was its exceptionally fast and efficient service. Before your butt can even touch the floor, tada! Food is served. I swear the imos are like predators eyeing prey, they literally leap into action when a new customer arrives in the restaurant. We were so amused by the speed of the imos clearing and setting tables, I wonder if they had to pass a speed test before they could start work.

In a jiffy, our food came and it was time to eat! Both of us didn't eat much breakfast and were really hungry so imagine our elation when we saw the delicious food! The previous time I was here, I didn't get a chance to properly pig out so this time I made sure I took my time to savour each and every bit. I realised they only have one item on their menu, which is 신골정식, and that the side dishes served are always the same. But it's delicious anyhow!

My favourite (white bowl in the middle) is mackerel with radish, which tastes like the sardines back home. Tammy's favourite is spicy pork slices (right of my favourite) I think, I didn't ask her but that was what she kept eating. :)
After lunch, we decided to walk around in the streets of Seomyeon. Seomyeon is regarded as one of the trendiest places in Busan where many college students and young adults go shopping for clothes. The clothes here are similar in fashion to those in Seoul's Dongdaemun but relatively cheaper. We didn't really felt like shopping so I suggested that we go to the rooftop animal park in Nampo Lotte Departmental Store, which I went to previously here.

Nampo is just eight stops away from Seomyeon and is also another trendy shopping area that young adults like to patronise. The streets of Nampo are divided into a few areas, some of which operate earlier in the day selling wholesale fashion goods and others are more active from the late afternoon till midnight.

Our personalities are kind of conflicting, maybe that's why we are very good friends. As they say, opposites attract. She doesn't really like animals, with the exception of her favourite chipmunk, but I on the other hand, considered being a zookeeper when I was young. Regardless, I dragged her up to the park with the promise that she will be safe from the clutches of the animals and the only living things that will be running around are little children and bunnies.

Look at all these cutie pies! But they're all so shy, unless you have carrots, they probably won't come near you and the moment you try to touch them they flee at lightning speed.

The last time I was here there weren't any piglets! So I guess Mommy Pig has given birth! The piglets look so clueless and cute, they just keep on following their mommy.

And we saw her favourite Chip and Dale! Actually she likes chipmunks, but the dictionary tells me that these are squirrels. But beggars can't be choosers, what's the difference between the two anyway?

Most of the visitors here are families with young children, and the mothers often prepare fresh vegetables such as carrots and cabbage for their children to feed the animals with. All the animals here are vegetarians, even the dogs. I was so surprised to see the golden retriever excitedly chomping down on a piece of cabbage like it's the tastiest bacon on Earth. I thought dogs eat meat?!

We were watching this adorable boy attempting to feed a goat when his very kind-hearted mother gave each of us a big piece of cabbage so that we too could feed the animals. It's not my first time experiencing such kindness in Busan and I honestly feel that people here are so generous and warm-hearted. Small gestures like these may not seem much, but it goes a long way to spreading the love and making foreign tourists feel at home. 

I fed half of my cabbage to a goat!
Armed with our new bait, we decided to trick some bunnies into getting up close.
I showed her the rooftop gallery of the mall where you could admire the seaview and take panoramic photos and she had the brilliant idea of leaving our mark at the Busan Tower in Yongdusan Park. In general, Korea is a romantic country where there are a lot of activities catered for couples to do on their dates. One of these would be to profess their love onto a plastic heart and lock it on the fences of various tourist spots. To the cute and hot guys out there, we like boys. Feel free to introduce yourselves to us, don't be shy.

Yongdusan Park is a famous tourist spot located at the heart of Nampo and it is home to the Busan Tower, which boasts a fantastic view of Busan especially at night. I haven't been up there yet, will update when I do! For now, at the bottom of the Busan Tower, you can purchase a plastic heart or heart-shaped lock from the convenience store and write your wishes at the benches provided, before permanently hooking them onto any empty spot you can find. Unconventional couples may place their hearts at the top of lamp posts or even roofs of the pavilions, whereas most people settle for the fence.

Can you spot our tiny pink heart?
Since there was still lots of time before she had to leave, we decided to visit the Jagalchi Market where her friends also went to today. Coincidentally, for this entire month, Jagalchi will be holding its annual Jagalchi Festival, so the place was brimming with people, mostly the elderly and a few tourists like us.

The actual Jagalchi Market is actually housed in a modern building, as you can see below in white, very opposite from the traditional street wet markets that I was expecting. But once you go inside the building, you will see that nothing much has changed. Being a coastal city, Busan offers many seafood delicacies and Jagalchi is where all the freshest seafood congregates. I have yet to try any seafood or sashimi here because the portions are quite big and almost impossible for one person to finish. Although it might be a little pricey, especially if you are a solo traveller, I've heard that it is a must try for you will get to taste many uncommmon seafoods.

Having not exercised for eons, the poor missy was tired after our stroll and wanted to go somewhere to chill. In her defence, she didn't sleep well the previous few days. I'm secretly happy because that means I get to strike off No. 2 on the must-visit-when-Tammy's-here list! Actually there were only two things on my list, but that's not the point.

So, in all excitement, I brought her to 설빙 (solbing) for dessert! 설빙 stands for 'snow ice', a variation of the popular Korean dessert 팥빙수 (patbingsu), and it is one of the most famous ice shops in Busan. In the entire city, there are only three outlets - two in Nampo and one in Seomyeon. Although the shop spaces are big, they are constantly brimming with people, so customers often have to queue in line before they get a seat. The reason behind 설빙's popularity lies in its ice, which is so fine it's like you're eating snow, hence its name. Other than shaved ice, the shop also sells toasts and beverages, with its best seller being 인절미설빙 (injeolmi solbing) and 인절미토스트 (injeolmi toast).

Obviously we were there to have their best seller, which is so delicious I would marry if I could. Basically, the 인절미설빙 is a mountain of snow ice, topped with finely ground peanut powder, chewy rice cake (injeolmi), almond flakes and sweet condensed milk, which is provided thoughtfully in a separate oriental cup so that customers can control the amount of milk they want in their dessert. Needless to say, we downed the cup. For those who like traditional flavours, this would be the perfect snow ice for you, if not I strongly recommend that you try it or there are other more contemporary flavours such as cheese cake and berry.

Our injeolmi solbing which cost a whopping 6,000W, too expensive compared to Singapore's $1 ice kachang, but was totally worth each and every cent we paid!
The subtle hint of giving customers two spoons (at least) with every ice ordered highly encourages you to share the ice, not only as the portions are big but you risk seeming greedy and isolated amongst the crowd of couples and friends. But fear not solo travellers, that doesn't mean you are barred from entry. I finished the entire bowl by myself alone in my first attempt, although I left the shop feeling very guilty and stuffed, probably judged by the staff for having no friends.

See this?! I has a friend today!!!

After dessert, we had no choice but to burn the calories by shopping the streets of Nampo! Our poor wallets. Coincidentally, we saw her Taiwan friends and we (okay me) awkwardly greeted them whilst schemingly plotting an escape route. (if you guys read this, now you know) The escape route worked but not too successfully as it wasn't as sneaky and suave as I had envisioned in my head. I successfully introduced cheapo shops to her but our shopping was cut short when she realised she had misplaced her small money pouch.

We hurriedly rushed back to the guesthouse she had stayed in previously in hopes of finding it but it wasn't there. The smart me, having learnt how to use Naver's directory, worked its magic again and managed to send her safely back to Busan Station in time for her train to Seoul! I am too cool. Holding back my tears, we bade farewell on the bus like in TV dramas. I'm really glad you found your pouch in your luggage in the end and thank you so much for making a good day great. :")



xoxo, ❀

No comments:

Post a Comment