22 October 2013

Exchange Day 58 - Exams Day One

Today's the first day of my midterms and I'm not too worried about the paper today as all I have to do is pass. Getting a perfect score would be more for my pride.

Breakfast was steamed egg and chili octopus with rice and spicy tofu and radish soup. This has to be the most horrible cafeteria breakfast I've ever eaten so far in my stay here. The steamed egg was cold and bland, the chili sauce had an unappetising fermented taste to it and the octopus wasn't chewy and did not seem fresh. The only saving grace of the meal was the spicy soup, which was deliciously addictive although I don't normally take spices well.







Breakfast was followed by a horribly unproductive session of attempted mugging as my cheatsheets fought to be seen and heard in the presence of the tantalising Bitstrips and Pottermore. Of course the distractions won. If only we were tested on Harry Potter.

Lunch was spicy (yes you might exclaim "not spice again?") fatty pork slices on rice today at the cafeteria and since I was too lazy to hike down the mountain, I settled for a chicken riceball, potato chips, instant chicken bar and chocolate milk, what I would call 'the convenience store meal'. The 'convenience store meal' is highly adored by college students, yet neither fills you up nor does your wallet good. But we eat it religiously anyway.



The riceball and chocolate milk were boring, the chicken bar was tasty but not exciting, but the potato chips, I tell you, had enough appeal to make this sad meal smiley again. Inside the packet was a dip to go with the chips, which was interesting, although I felt that the chips were yummy enough plain. The shop only had two flavours - sweet chili and barbeque - but I think you can probably find more options in bigger stores. I chose sweet chili and there was no question about it. It tasted sweet and like chili.

Since lunch was unsatisfying, I had dinner early at, what my friends like to call, 'the happy uncle shop'. I had kimchi fried rice for 3500W, which was fantastic and the legendary apple salad that my friends keep gushing about even made its debut appearance in the seven side dishes that the eatery generously dishes out. (no pun intended)

The apple salad turned out to be just apple cubes drenched in mayonnaise (frowns), but as a loyal customer, I finished all the side dishes and almost all the rice, without a care for the judging looks of the other customers who were just secretly in awe of the hearty appetite of a girl courageous enough to eat solo in the couple-oriented world of Korea.



My exam turned out to be even easier than I thought it would be, which is a feat in itself.

xoxo, ❀

No comments:

Post a Comment