27 October 2013

Exchange Day 62 - Act-yige-artsy-fartsy Day

I woke up the latest I ever did in Korea this morning. 11am. I think I fainted in my sleep. So I didn't have any breakfast, which was good because it saves me money! My new hobby is saving money. Searching for discounts and bargains are secondary, because they still involve spending money. Spoken like a true scrooge.

Anyway lunch in the cafeteria was 잡체덥밥 (japchae on rice) and radish and fishcake soup! Although my braced teeth cannot chew the sweet potato noodles very well and they always slide down my throat before the poor teeth can attempt to make its move, I love japchae a lot for its chewy texture and there's always so many crunchy vegetables in the dish! The black mixture you see on the rice is jjajang, I'm not sure if it's meant to be there or the cafeteria ladies decided to give us poor students more food. Not eating breakfast made me so hungry I ran to the seats like a crazy caveman with itchy feet. (I'm typing this with half-closed eyes, sorry for the weird analogies)



Don't be fooled by the yummy exterior of my lunch. Beneath it lies an oily and salty monster so unappetising even my love for chapchae cannot stomach. (no pun intended)

People who know me know that I'm not picky about food (my favourite food is everything) and that I polish my plates so neatly the cleaning ladies put it back on the serving counter for use. (I jest) The point is, I never waste food no matter I like it or not, but today was really too much to bear. I fought hard but bailed at the halfway mark. The white rice was as great as usual.

My unsatisfying lunch provided me with an excuse to get potato chips even though I was nursing a sore throat from all the fried chicken and burgers and fries I had the past few days. Fried food and ice cream are my vacation foods. I promise to eat cleanly when I return to Singapore. At least most of the time.

I wasn't feeling well today so I ended up not going to the beach with my friends to watch Busan's annual Fireworks Festival. It might have been a blessing in disguise judging from the photos on Facebook. Although the fireworks only start at night, the beach was already infested with people by mid-day.

The horror!!! (koped from my friend's facebook page)

So I stayed in and tried to start on all the art projects that I had wanted to do in Korea. Tried is the keyword.

Dinner was 비빔우동 (bibim udong) at a small shop down the mountains for 4,000W. It tastes like bibimbab, except that the white rice is now replaced with smooth and chewy udon noodles! Although it was spicy, it was delicious and warmed my lips in the cold weather!.

(top row) Kimchi radish, egg rolls, spicy cuttlefish. (centre) Kimchi cucumbers. (bottom row) Bibimudong before mixing and peppery soup.



After dinner, like true Koreans, we went to grab a drink. My room mate brought me to 2man Cafe, a cafe down the mountains owned by (yes you got it) two men and sells great drinks at very affordable prices. I wasn't feeling adventurous and I don't like coffee so I got the usual hot chocolate to soothe my aching tummy on a cold autumn's day.

Only one man was working today.




The weather's getting much colder nowadays, I think it's time for me to get thicker clothing as much as I hate to spend money.

xoxo, ❀

No comments:

Post a Comment