17 November 2013

Exchange Day 83 - Frozen goodness

I was supposed to go bird-watching again at Eulsukdo Nature Reserve today with my friends to make up for our previous failed trip and then visit our Korean buddy at a horse stable she works at but no plans were confirmed so I decided to go out by myself. Thankfully I went ahead with my own plans because if I had waited for their response, today would have been a wasted day. (or maybe they did go out but I wasn't informed)

Breakfast was honey cake that I bought from the dormitory's welfare shop yesterday and Mommy does not believe that it's only 230kcal for a big slice of cake. Well, it says so on the packaging, (I've checked umpteen times) and there's no saying that the cake's more than one serving. So I guess it really is only 230kcal. (smirks)



The honey cake was much tastier than I had expected. I refrain from imposing high expectations on a convenience bread because I'm afraid of disappointment. These few days I'm losing all interest in my food. (frowns) The honey cake was sweet, fluffy and so addictive I ate the baking paper that was stuck at the base too. Two bites worth before I realised it was paper. Oh well, more fibre in my diet.

A honey cake didn't satisfy my voracious appetite so I downed three waffle biscuits and a cheesecake bar. They still didn't do the job but I decided to curb my greedy tummy.

I had planned to eat something satisfying like rice for lunch but I ended up having frozen yoghurt from Yogurberry along the streets of the Dong-A Hadan campus. The shop has a self-service concept where customers choose a cup size and are free to take whatever yoghurt and toppings they like, before paying for their froyo at the counter. Prices for froyo go according to weight at 220W per gram and mine weighed exactly 200g so I paid 4,400W, which was similar to what I would be paying in Singapore.

There were altogether eight flavours - green tea, chocolate, mascarpon cheese, strawberry, blueberry, plain, mango and grapefruit - and more than twenty different toppings to choose from. I like being able to try a variety of flavours, so I took a bit of green tea, chocolate, cheese, blueberry and grapefruit. Green tea was fragrant but not too overpowering, chocolate wasn't too sweet, blueberry tasted a little creamy and grapefruit felt like a tangy sorbet. I liked all the flavours I picked except for cheese, which I felt was too rich.

I took the smallest size cup, which when filled to the brim is enough to be shared amongst two people, although eating it alone is much more satisfying.



Other than frozen yoghurt, the shop also sells 빙수 (shaved ice) but it isn't a fixed thing on the menu so it might change with the seasons. From the pictures, the shaved ice didn't look as appealing as its yoghurt so I would suggest to stick with the froyo unless you're sharing with friends.

Today's destination was Dongdaesin on Line 2, home to the Dongdaesin Market and neighbour of the Seodaesin Market. The word 'market' excites me a lot as it usually has the connotation of being cheap and local, which I love and hence I rushed to the market in hopes of finding cheap and delicious hawker fare to satisfy my grumpy tummy.





Every time I visit a market, I always draw stares from the ahjummas because rarely are there people my age at the markets. I bet they must all be wondering if I got lost while trying to find somewhere else. Unfortunately for me, most of the cafeterias weren't open for business, even when I walked all the way to the Seodaesin Market, so I left and walked out onto the main street.

I found a bakery, very happy that it wasn't part of any global franchise so I decided to give it a chance. There were so many mouthwatering bread and pastries I had a hard time deciding but I eventually succumbed to a 고구마빵 (sweet potato bread). So predictable I know. My sister must be mumbling to my mom how I keep eating the same thing over and over again.



Although the label describes this to be bread, I think that it's just a sweet potato baked in cheese. There's nothing about it that tastes like bread to me but anyhow, it was sweet and delectable. Very pricey at 2,000W but worth every single penny. The potato filled me up finally and I didn't even feel hungry for dinner although I still ate.

I went into Toms and Toms Cafe, for it's the only cafe along the street I haven't been into and I try not to repeat, and ordered a Rose Flower Tea. I was really disappointed because they didn't serve my tea in a fancy porcelain cup and the only thing fancy about the drink were the pretty rose buds in the tea bag. Not worth my 4,200W. The cafe was a little stuffy at the first floor where I sat but it might be better on the second floor, where most of the other customers sat.

The first floor of the cafe. I sat in one of the red leather chairs close to the windows.

My expensive rose flower tea.

Studying again! It's sweet for my books to always accompany me on weekends but I wished they'd find other friends.


Dinner was 튀김 (tempura) and 오댕 (oden) again from a popular street vendor in Hadan, although this time I ate significantly less and had a mini 김밥 (kimbab) too. You can find the shop outside Exit 3 of Hadan Station and the food is really affordable at 500W per piece. The tempura is always freshly fried and I'd recommend requesting the imo for the sweet and spicy deokbokki sauce to go along with your tempura for a gastronomical experience.

I succumbed to temptations. ): The ice cream was rock hard, which I loved but I got cheated by the calorie label.

xoxo, ❀

No comments:

Post a Comment