14 November 2013

Exchange Day 81

Breakfast was a cheesecake bar and three waffle biscuits. I think drinking Starbucks yesterday made me lose sleep and I barely woke up on time for my morning class today. Scoffing down my breakfast in a hurry didn't make me full so I bought a strawberry cream pie and KitKat bar at the subway station.

The strawberry cream tasted a little like ice cream even though it wasn't put in the fridge.

This is my first time eating a KitKat bar since I left Singapore. I don't remember seeing it around much or maybe I haven't been looking.


Lunch was very satisfying, on the other hand. I ate at one of the street stalls near the BIFF zone and had my all-time favourite 튀김 (tempura) and 오댕 (oden), which was pure bliss in the cold weather. Today's weather was a little less chilly than yesterday but from next week onwards, Busan's gonna be delving into the negative degree Celsius zone. (faints) I really am not a winter person.

I tried one of each, except for the chicken wings, fried egg, spice leaf and chilli.

You can order corndogs, dumplings and kimbab at the shop too. I was really tempted to get a kimbab, but I didn't because I knew I wouldn't be able to finish it.

The very nice imo meticulously frying my tempura and cutting it up into bite-size pieces for me.

My first round of tempura - squid, crabmeat with vegetables and yam! I had two rounds in total, so yummy!


After lunch, I walked around Nampo-dong in search of a warm and cosy cafe to spend my afternoon. The cafe culture in Busan (Korea) is really huge and cafes are so prevalent that you can find one almost every ten steps you walk. Since I have a huge break between my classes on Thursday, it becomes my cafe day where I try to visit as many cafes as I can.

On the way, I found these handmade Churros! It's crispy and so delicious, 1,000W for a 30cm Churro is really a steal.
Today I'm here at Coffine Gurunaru along Gwangbok Street. It's located above a telecomms shop (I forgot which one) and spans across two floors - 3F for smokers and 2F for non-smokers. I walked in at around midday, so the cafe was relatively empty, although it did get pretty crowded around five. The cafe has an extensive selection of drinks - caffeine, non-caffeine, even alcoholic - but I think most people come here for their toasts, which were mouthwatering but it's a pity I'm stuffed.

I ordered a Jejusarang Hallabong tea, which was actually yujacha (orange tea). So much for a fancy name.

Studying in a cafe is always productive for me (it should be since the drinks are so expensive). I think I should really start studying in cafes when I get back instead of painfully trying to focus at home.

I like sitting near the windows as it feels more relaxing but the sun was shining so brightly today I regret.


I had dinner after class with my friends in a Chinese restaurant around school. We were all really hungry so we ordered two fried rice, one bean paste noodles and one large 탕수육 (fried pork in sweet vinegar sauce) to split.

The very generous imo who gave us free kimchi radish and yakult drink.
(clockwise) 탕수육 (tangsuyuk), 볶음밥(bokkeumbab), 자짱면 (jajjangmyeon).
The meat was so soft and tender I could eat a whole plate by myself. The sauce could be a little too sweet though so I recommend dipping the meat into the accompanying chilli soy sauce.
Look at the glistening pearls of rice in its full glory. I love the runny yolk and the rice tastes so much like the ones back home I can't help myself even though I don't usually eat fried rice.


I think somehow my appetite became smaller here, which can be good I guess although it means I can't try as much food as I could previously. I remember being ravenous before dinner but I felt so full after dinner I thought I would explode. I didn't even eat that much. What am I gonna do when I go back home to the embrace of my favourite buffets? (sigh)

xoxo, ❀

No comments:

Post a Comment