9 November 2013

Exchange Day 76 - Fastfood and cafe hopping

Look at the pretty and red leaves on the way down the mountain! Autumn is indeed here!


Today is a 혼자있어부산 (alone in Busan) day, otherwise known as HIP day. I've coined a new term for such a day so it doesn't sound so pathetic and readers who are interested in traveling in Busan alone can find my blog posts easily. Actually, I'm supposed to be doing my homework but I feel so restless I decided doing trivial things would be more productive.

My professors have finally realised halfway through the semester that we students have not been doing enough so they conspired to bombard us with assignments all at once. Although it's nice that I finally feel like a student instead of a tourist, since I'm only left with one more month till exchange ends, I can't be bound by my academic obligations! They couldn't have picked a better time than now to start.

Enough about them. So like all previous HIP days (which weren't really HIP days as they weren't given a name yet), my blog entry will be about places in Busan that I've tried and tested that are okay to visit alone. I'm currently sitting in the Dong A University branch of Angel-in-us Coffee, a franchise cafe that proclaims they serve the world's best coffee. I wouldn't know since I don't drink coffee, but I've tried their lemonade previously and it was really refreshing!



Angel-in-us Coffee can easily be recognised by its angelic mascot (pun intended) and is one of the few ubiquitous brands of cafes around. There's at least one outlet in every big departmental store and for all you k-drama fangirls (or boys) out there, Angel-in-us is fronted by the face of prettyboy Kim Soo Hyun.

Poor Kim Soo Hyun is waiting for you to join him at the cafe!


I'd say that cafes in general are good places to frequent when you're alone and like in most parts of the world, you can find people hanging out in groups or just chilling alone here. I don't have the habit of chilling in cafes back in Singapore but I think this is one thing that might change when I go back.

I'd suggest to pick a window seat if you're alone! It feels good to have something to look at when you're bored of what you're doing, be it studying or reading a book or typing away at your computer!

My drink of the day is 핫국화차, which I'm guessing is hot osmanthus tea.


Okay a quick check on Google Translate tells me I'm wrong. It's not osmanthus, it's chrysanthemum. I'd hate to think that I actually paid 4,000W for chrysanthemum tea but this has a light fragrance and isn't sweet so I like it. It helps too that it has a cooling effect and helps neutralise the heatiness from lunch.

My room here has a magnetic effect that prevents me from stepping out of the room, even to get food, which is a feat in itself. I woke up around nine today and breakfast was a measly sweet potato fish bread that I bought yesterday night from the convenience store, knowing that I'll probably lounge in my room the whole day.

So I was really really hungry (cue giddy spells) by noon but I couldn't bring myself to go out until I finished the blog entry that was for yesterday. So a few hours past just like that and when I finally stepped out, it was 15:00. I swear I would have fainted in my room had I left any later. I did 30 lunges in the room and my world started to spin.

Lunch was fast food, I wanted to have Mom's Touch again but I was too abashed to step in so I had Lotteria across the street instead. Although I haven't tried the McDonalds here, I wanted to have shaker fries so I decided to go to Lotteria. The McDonalds here doesn't have shaker fries. I ordered a shrimp burger and was so stunned by a question the staff asked I forgot all about shaker fries. I think she was trying to ask me if I wanted to upsize my meal, which I couldn't understand but she did it for me anyway. I ended up throwing half of my fries and almost all my cola away. The burger was pretty tasty though.



The set meal cost me 6,200W, which is a crazy price I'll most probably not pay in Singapore for McDonalds and I regret my decision even before I got back to my seat. I keep making lousy food choices these few days what is wrong with me! I haven't been exercising so I attribute it to that, but I'm too lazy to keep my mind active with exercise. What a vicious cycle.

I realised after that shaker fries only cost 1,000W so I could have just gotten a burger and a packet of shaker fries for less than 5,000W since I didn't drink soda and having a drink wouldn't matter to me. Moping about my folly didn't make the meal less tasty than it already was, but I did scoff everything down faster than usual.

Hopefully dinner will be better later! I'm going to have barley rice later with my friend! The imo cannot reject me now since I brought a friend. (cackles) I'll update the post again after dinner!

edit/
The shop wasn't open for business today... I guess the auntie somehow managed to have the last laugh sigh. Since we couldn't eat barley rice, we decided to try a new restaurant so we went to Vongole Pasta and Pizza on the other side of the street.

Stepping inside the restaurant revealed a homely and well-decorated loft, very different from what I was expecting as we trudged up the dubious flight of stairs that led to the place. I was really impressed by the tree in the middle of the restaurant where messages of previous diners were hung splendidly on its branches. Closer inspection left us a little discouraged as most of the diners were couples but we did see another pair of friends, which was great.



We tried very hard to slowly decide what to eat, but looking at the limited choices they have, it wasn't much of a decision so we took our order in a jiffy. If you have a party of more than one, I'd like to recommend that you order something from the pasta menu and another from the pizza menu such that you can have the best of both worlds. The pasta portion wasn't big so the pizza sort of helped to make up for it too.

It was really sweet of the restaurant to give complimentary croissants and marshmallows as appetisers while we wait for our food, but we wondered what would have happened if we came alone since everything was dished out in pairs.

The garlic croissants were delicious but slightly sweeter than your average garlic toast.

Roasting marshmallows over a candle light probably helps make your date more romantic unless you burn your marshmallows or set them on fire like us.


The food came in less than fifteen minutes, which was great because we were both starving and it helped take attention away from the awkward silence in the restaurant.

(left) Creamy vongole pasta and (right) margherita thin-crust pizza. 
You can choose to have your pastas cooked spicy or not and since I didn't take spicy, we chose not to have it spicy but their menu recommends having it spiced. I love creamy pasta and this one was not too bad although it would have been better was there more sauce.

They had five pizza options and out of the five, three were sweet. The other one was spicy so we chose a tomato-based margherita pizza, which was kind of disappointing as there wasn't much flavour to it. But I liked the thin crust!


After the meal, the restaurant surprised us with a complimentary dessert of vanilla and chocolate ice cream topped with sugary syrup and sweetened cornflakes. Talk about diabetes. I appreciate that they gave two scoops of ice cream instead of one big one (you would think that they'll make you share everything), so that the couple could secretly mark their food territory even in the midst of this lovey-dovey sharing. Well I don't know about the others, but personally I'd be upset if my boyfriend ate my share of the ice cream.



We paid a total of 14,500W for the meal and it wasn't too bad considering the type of food we ate so I'd say that this restaurant is worth a try, but I'd recommend that you come with friends so that you get to try more for the same price.

xoxo, ❀

No comments:

Post a Comment